The History of Tugu Yogyakarta

Many believe that when you comes to Yogyakarta not complete if you have not been to Tugu Yogyakarta . This monument is a historical monument building located in the middle of the intersection between Jalan Pangeran Mangkubumi , Jalan General Sudirman , Jalan PM Sangaji and Jalan Diponegoro and nearly three centuries old . Aside from being a symbol of the city of Yogyakarta , this monument also has an imaginary axis between the South Sea , Yogyakarta Kraton and Mount Merapi . It also deals with the magical bond between the three sites .

Tugu Yogyakarta was built by the Sultan I in 1755 . At first , this obelisk – shaped Golong gilig and has a height of 25 meters , where the pillars of this monument gilig shaped ( cylindrical ) and Golong peak shape ( round ) , so that at the time this monument called Tugu Golong – gilig name . At the beginning of the construction of this monument has meaning Manunggaling Gusti servant who describes the spirit of unity between the people and the authorities in the fight against the invaders . But on the other hand can also be significant as the relationship between man and the Creator.

Tugu-Jogja-Yogyakarta

On June 10, 1867, a great earthquake shook the city and the resulting collapse of building the monument . And new in 1889 , this monument began to be fixed by the Dutch government by van opzichter Waterstaat or Head of Department of Public Works , JWS van Brussel under the supervision of Raden Duke Pepatih Dalem Kanjeng Danurejo V by doing a little remodeling on the building this monument . The last monument was built with a square shape where the peak is no longer round but tapered conical . Each side of the building is also decorated with some sort of memorial inscriptions indicating who was involved in the renovation process . Not only that, the building height to 25 meters was initially made ​​only as high as fifteen feet . This monument was inaugurated by the Sultan VII on October 3, 1889 . Since then , this monument is called by the name of De Witt Paal or Tugu White .

sejarah-jogja

Tugu Yogyakarta is now getting more beautiful with small gardens that adorn the area around the monument . In addition to adding beauty , this park is also intended to keep visitors not to arbitrarily go up the monument and historic buildings littering .

Translated from: Kompasiana

Comments are closed.